Wednesday 14 October 2020

AUGUST '20 WRAP-UP


Time for another wrap up!

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe during this global pandemic. Please wear your masks and practice social distancing. Also, if you have a minute, please take a look at this link for resources on how you can help the BLM movement and other issues around the world: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/

Okay, my public service announcements are over.

So, this wasn't the best blogging month as I only posted once, however, I did manage to read quite a few books. 

Time to talk about the books I read this month.


PHYSICAL BOOKS

 


The first book I read was City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. This was a reread for me and my first time reading it, I really enjoyed it but this time, I did not. I thought a lot of the book was extremely awkward and the 'romance' made me uncomfortable. I also thought the storyline in this book was boring and I just ended up not enjoying it. I rated it 2.5 Crowns.

The second book I read was The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater. I loved the first book, The Raven Boys, and I loved this one even more. The development of the characters, their friendships and the overall story was what made the book so good! I am so excited to keep reading this series. I rated it 5 Crowns. 

The third book I read was Blood Promise by Richelle Mead. This is probably my least favorite book in The Vampire Academy series so far. The storyline was a little bit slow, though I liked seeing a different setting from the school setting in the previous books. I don't like the main relationship and how it was handled in this book which seemed super toxic, but we'll see how it develops later on. I rated this one 2.5 Crowns. 




The fourth book I read was The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller. I loved this book so much and I am so excited that I finally read it! This is about Alessandra who is tired of being overlooked, by society and her own family. She hatches a plan: woo the Shadow King, marry him, then kill him and take his power and throne for herself. But Alessandra's not the only one out to kill the king and as more attempts are made she finds herself protecting him and growing closer to him. Alessandra was such an interesting main character and it was such a good morally grey enemies to lovers romance. I rated this one 5 Crowns.  

The fifth book I read was You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson. Everyone has been recommending this book and loving it so I had to pick it up. Liz is very upset when she doesn't receive the financial aid she was expecting to help her study at the college that her mother graduated from. She wanted to make her mother proud and bring some happiness to herself and family in her mother's name after she passed away due to sickle cell anemia. But when she hears about the cash prize for the one who win's the prom queen's crown this year at her school, she knows she can get enough money in order to study at the prestigious college. However, Liz has been hiding in the side lines for years, and it isn't easy to step into the spotlight especially when she is black and queer. I really liked the overall story and it was a very quick read. I also really liked the two main characters and their development. I rated this one 4 Crowns. 





The sixth book I read was Kingdom of Ashes by Rhiannon Thomas. This is the sequel to A Wicked Thing which I read earlier this year. This one continues with Aurora's story and I liked it a lot more than the first book. I loved seeing Aurora's journey and her becoming a lot more confident and brave. I rated this one 3.5 Crowns. 

The seventh and last book I read was Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell. This is a retelling of Les Miserables and a book that has been on my TBR for a while now. This is set in in the planet of Laterre which is a place where an elite class reigns supreme, and the poor starve in the streets.  However, there are whispers of revolution and a rebel group is resurfacing. There are three POVs in this book: Chatine who is a street-savvy thief wanting to escape the brutal Regime and the planet, Marcellus who is an officer and the son of a traitor, and Alouette who is living in an underground refuge where she helps protect the last library on the planet. I really enjoyed this book. It was so new and different from any YA book, while also including several dystopian and sci-fi tropes. I rated it 4 Crowns. 


AUDIOBOOKS READ

NONE

ARC'S READ

NONE

REVIEWS IN JUNE: 

NONE

WEEKLY WRAP-UP:

NONE

DISCUSSIONS/OTHER:




FAVORITE COVER OF THE MONTH:



NEW FICTIONAL BAE'S: 

Gansey from The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Kallias from The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller 

Marcellus from Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell

NEW FAVORITE FEMALES: 

Blue from The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Alessandra from The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller 

Chatine from Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell


NEW FAVORITE BOOK RELATIONSHIPS: 

Alessandra and Kallias from The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller 

Marcellus and Chatine from Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell


TV SHOWS I WATCHED THIS MONTH:



MOVIES I WATCHED THIS MONTH:

NONE


WHAT BOOKS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:





There's so many more but these are the main ones! 


NEW BLOG FINDS

NONE


SONGS ON REPEAT

King - Zayde Wolf

Would You Come Home - Tyler Blackburn

Love Again - Dua Lipa

Lonely Boy - The Black Keys

Bad Memory - K.Flay 

Myself and Me - Halocene

Mamma Mia Here We Go Again Album

Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Tommee Profitt

X - Jonas Brothers ft. KAROL G.

Begging for Thread - BANKS

Take it Off - Kesha 

Alors on danse - Stromae 

Evil - Interpol

Close Your Eyes - Kim Petras

Lies - Will Jay 


 BOOKS I WANT TO READ NEXT MONTH




The graphics at the top belong to me. The background pictures for them, however do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment