Saturday 30 July 2016

A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann Review

This is a spoiler free review!






A Drop of Night
Written by Stefan Bachmann
Genre: Young Adult/Thriller/Horror
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Release Date: March 15, 2016
Pages: 439
Source: Library
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository


Recommended Age: 13 and up!


Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Anouk has finally caught the break she’s been looking for—she's been selected out of hundreds of other candidates to fly to France and help with the excavation of a vast, underground palace buried a hundred feet below the suburbs of Paris. Built in the 1780's to hide an aristocratic family and a mad duke during the French Revolution, the palace has lain hidden and forgotten ever since. Anouk, along with several other gifted teenagers, will be the first to set foot in it in over two centuries.

Or so she thought.

But nothing is as it seems, and the teens soon find themselves embroiled in a game far more sinister, and dangerous, than they could possibly have imagined. An evil spanning centuries is waiting for them in the depths. . .

A genre-bending thriller from Stefan Bachmann for fans of The Maze Runner and Joss Whedon’s The Cabin in the Woods.

You cannot escape the palace.

You cannot guess its secrets.


Review:

I'm not sure if any of you know but I am not really a fan of horror. Like at all. I have never seen a horror movie in my life and the trailers just freak me out. But this book was different. I really enjoyed the thrills and horrors that were in it. I was sucked into this book and read it in one sitting which surprised even me.



COVER

The cover is kind of freaky but at the same time, really represents the book well which is what you want in a cover. I really like how the house is at the top and then at the bottom, it is a ballroom or hallway of sorts which has someone running which perfectly shows what happens in this book. It also gives sort of an eerie atmosphere which is perfect for this book.



WORLD-BUILDING

The world-building is done amazingly well. We get to see two point of views. One point of view from the modern day, and the other from a long time ago. I liked learning about the world from each point of view.




Then there are the characters.





ANOUK


Anouk isn't your usual very likable main character or heroine. In fact, I didn't really like her at the beginning. She sort of annoyed me and seemed to be rather rude to the point of having me wanting to tear my hair out. She is so secluded and seems to know that something is wrong from the beginning which causes her to be the smart one but they are all still in the same boat. She is also really gifted which helps her a lot.

AURELIE

Aurelie is in the historical time part of this story which really added to this story a lot. Sometimes, I didn't understand what was going on with her part of the story but she was still a strong character. She knew what she had to do but she was also helpless in some situations.



PLOT

The plot was so unique. I don't think that I have read any book that is like this at all which surprised me. It was so amazing and unique. It has so much potential that I hope others will hear about this book and read it.

The book really is creepy and horrific which gives you chills but makes you want to keep reading. The plot is also very fastpaced which makes the almost 500 page book go by really quickly.






ROMANCE

There isn't really any.



WRITING

The writing was done really well and I highly enjoyed it. While it wasn't flowy and beautiful, it was still good for a fast-paced, action book.

Final Thoughts:

This book has quickly become one that I will recommend to anyone and everyone. It has elements of different books but it is totally unique and it's own.






My Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the romance between Aurelie and the guy (is his name Jack?). I really shipped them.

    ReplyDelete