Saturday 22 September 2018

AUGUST '18 WRAP-UP



So, it's the end of the month and that means another wrap-up!

Sorry, this is so late.

August was when I was getting ready for college as well as trying to work on my novel. I am now in college and it's been going okay. It's hard to adjust but I'm getting there.

I read a lot this month and watched a lot of television and movies as you can see below.

Join my book club: here.

 Anyways...

Time to talk about the books I read this month.


PHYSICAL BOOKS


The first book I read was Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston. I picked this book up because I heard it was a retelling of Anastasia which is one of my favorite animated movies (now a Disney movie! Yay for Disney buying Fox). I really liked all the similarities between the movie and this book. I loved the characters a lot and I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The second book I read was Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan. I really enjoyed the first book when I read it a long time ago, so of course I had to read the sequel. I liked seeing the progression of events and how everything played out as Luna is a princess. I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The third book I read was Suitors and Sabatoge by Cindy Anstey. I loved this book. I really liked the plot and the characters. I love Regency era books and historical fiction. Cindy Anstey writes some of the best historical fiction books and this wasn't an exception. I rated this one 5 Crowns. 



The fourth book I read was Pitch Dark by Courtney Alameda. I requested this as an ARC at the beginning of 2018 and I never got it which was disappointing. I got this book in California and I am so happy that I read it as I loved it. I really liked the story and how creepy and atmospheric it was. Horror science fiction Young Adult books are starting to become a favorite of mine. I rated this 5 Crowns. 

Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson was my fifth book of the month. This was a reread for me but I love this series and have never finished it. Also, it's such a good series and I was having post Disney blues. I really like how Ridley Pearson did so much research for this book and it is so interesting to see things that the public don't. I rated this 5 Crowns. 

End of Days by Susan Ee was my sixth read. I love this series a lot. So many people think this series is generic but I think it's very unique. It is an apocalyptic book with fallen angels but it is so much more than that. Penryn is a very strong female character who is very protective of her younger sister and values her family and morals even though death is occurring all around her. Oh, and her relationship with Raffe is super cute. 


The seventh physical book I read was Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. This book is dark. There are three sisters and only one can be queen, so they have to kill the other two. Yeah, it's dark. I enjoyed this book even though the majority of the characters left something to be desired. I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The eighth physical book i read was Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh. I really enjoyed this series. Renee Ahdieh has a very lyrical writing style which immerses you into the writing. I loved learning more about Okami and Mariko and meeting new characters and the real villain of the series. I rated it 5 Crowns. 

The ninth physical book I read was Contagion by Erin Bowman. This book was another horror science fiction novel which I really enjoyed. It was a lot darker than Pitch Dark but I really enjoyed the mystery about it. I rated it 4 Crowns. 


The tenth physical book I read was P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han. I love this series so much and I was going to read the whole thing in order to watch the movie on Netflix. I loved this almost as much as the first book. This series is adorable between Lara Jean and Peter's relationship, Lara Jean's style and her obsession with baking. It's so cute. I rated it 5 Crowns. 

The eleventh physical book I read was The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber. I picked this up from the Mystery section at the library and I wasn't expecting much but I ended up loving it. It was such a good mystery with some amazing characters and I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The twelfth physical book I read was Catwoman Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas. I loved this book a lot. I liked this more than Sarah J. Maas' other books as I feel like we got to see her real writing and how she develops her characters and plot. I rated this 5 Crowns. 


Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue was a book that I had to read for college but I actually ended up enjoying it. I liked her writing style and I enjoyed the story but I did not like the ending. I rated this one 3 Crowns. 

The fourteenth book I read was Star Wars Most Wanted by Rae Carson. I really liked this book as I loved the movie Solo. I liked learning about Qi'ra and Han before they were together or even friends. I loved the plot and the high stakes. I rated this book 4 Crowns. 

The fifteenth book I read was Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han. I loved this ending although I did cry as I didn't want it to end. I loved seeing more of Lara Jean, Peter Kavinsky and the others. I rated this one 5 Crowns. 


AUDIOBOOKS READ

NONE

ARC'S READ


The first and only ARC I read was Girl at the Grave by Teri Bailey Black. I really enjoyed this book. It was a perfect fall read, though I read it in August. I liked the main character as well as the mystery. I will have a full review up as soon as possible. I rated it 3 Crowns. 


REVIEWS IN MARCH: 





WEEKLY WRAP-UP:






DISCUSSIONS/OTHER:





FAVORITE COVER OF THE MONTH:




NEW FICTIONAL BAE'S: 

Fowler from Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan

Ben from Suitors and Sabotage by Cindy Anstey

Tuck from Pitch Dark by Courtney Alameda

Raffe from End of Days by Susan Ee

Okami from Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh

Peter Kavinsky from P.S. I Still Love You and Always and Forever Lara Jean by Jenny Han

Sebastian Gage from The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee

Luke Fox from Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas


NEW FAVORITE FEMALES: 

Ana from Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston

Luna from Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan

Imogene from Suitors and Sabotage by Cindy Anstey

Laura from Pitch Dark by Courtney Alameda

Penryn from End of Days by Susan Ee

Mariko from Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh

Lara Jean Covey from P.S. I Still Love You and Always and Forever Lara Jean by Jenny Han

Thea from Contagion by Erin Bowman

Lady Darby from The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee

Selina Kyle from Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas


NEW FAVORITE BOOK RELATIONSHIPS: 

Luna and Fowler from Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan

Ben and Imogene from Suitors and Sabotage by Cindy Anstey

Laura and Tuck from Pitch Dark by Courtney Alameda

Penryn and Raffe from End of Days by Susan Ee

Okami and Mariko from Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh

Peter Kavinsky and Lara Jean from P.S. I Still Love You and Always and Forever Lara Jean by Jenny Han

Sebastian Gage and Lady Darby from The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee

Selina and Luke from Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas



TV SHOWS I WATCHED THIS MONTH:






MOVIES I WATCHED THIS MONTH:







WHAT BOOKS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:


 



NEW BLOG FINDS

NONE


SONGS ON REPEAT

Done for Me - Charlie Puth ft. Kehlani 

You Drive Me Crazy - Britney Spears

My Prerogative - Britney Spears

Boys - Britney Spears

Loyal to Me - Nina Nesbitt

You Were Right - Gabriela Geneva 

Born Ready - Dove Cameron

Rumors - Sofia Carson



 BOOKS I WANT TO READ NEXT MONTH



The graphics at the top belong to me. The background pictures for them, however do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment