Sunday 27 March 2016

Fallen by Lauren Kate Review [Fallen #1]

This is a spoiler free review!





Fallen
Written by Lauren Kate
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal/Fantasy
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: December 8, 2009
Pages: 452
Source: Library
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository
Recommended Age: 13 and up!


Summary:

What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?


17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart.


Get ready to fall . . .

Review:


This book was amazing but it took me almost one hundred pages to get really into the book. It really is a slow-burning book. I believe the author wanted to ease us into everything which I appreciate.


Let’s start with the cover!


The cover intrigued me but I didn’t feel like I really liked it if you know what I mean. It is a cover you would look at and say “Oh, I feel like this would be interesting” but it isn’t a book you’d pick up to look pretty on your bookshelf.


WORLD-BUILDING


There isn’t too much world-building until the last quarter of the book which then gave us a chunk of information which both made me happy and made me a little mad. I always want to know more about the world so I was pleased that I finally got that information but I’d prefer to get a little bit at a time.


Then there are the characters.


LUCE


We first meet Luce who is being forced to go to a new school (which is extremely creepy by the way). She is an interesting main character and I believe that in one of the next books she will turn into quite a good female protagonist. She can be witty and feisty but other times she is a complete damsel in distress which I didn’t like but I dealt with it.


DANIEL


One of the two main love interests. I hated him at first because of how he kept giving her the cold shoulder. But by the end I began to understand why Luce was so captivated by him.


CAM


He was the second of the two main love interests. I really liked him. Both the love interests were tall, dark and totally swoon-worthy though I liked Cam wayy more at the beginning. And I can’t really say that much without giving anything away. [But I will have a Gush review where I will have spoilers]


PENN


She was possibly my favorite character in this whole book. I loved her because she seemed pretty normal and was a great friend for Luce.

ROMANCE


The romance took awhile to develop which I didn’t mind all that much. Daniel and Luce were adorable and their romance was swoon-worthy. Then there was Cam and Luce which was kind of the opposite and I didn’t like it even though I kind of like Cam better.


WRITING


The writing wasn’t great but I still liked it as it was easy to read and understand.


Final Thoughts:


I know I have said some things in this review that might question why I chose to rate this book five stars but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Luce was a great protagonist even if she didn’t have as much strength as I wish she did. I am going to be reading the next one.

Quotes from the Book:


“Trust is a careless pursuit at best. At worst, it's a good way to get yourself killed.”


“The only way to survive eternity is to be able to appreciate each moment.”



My Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns




No comments:

Post a Comment