Sunday 29 May 2016

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout [Lux #1]

This is a spoiler free review!



Obsidian
Written by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction/Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Pages: 335
Source: Library
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository

Recommended Age: 12 and up!

Summary:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.



Review:

I went into this book not knowing much but what bloggers, and youtubers had said about it. Then, when I read the back and discovered that the male in this book was actually an alien and not a vampire or a werewolf, I was immediately down to read it. Most books with aliens have them destroying things or wanting to kill humans but this book was different.  

COVER

I must admit, the guy on the cover kind of freaks me out. His eyes actually scare me. I also don’t think the cover really represents the story. Katy isn’t hanging onto Daemon for support the whole time. She has her own mind and can decide what she wants for herself.

WORLD-BUILDING

Since there isn’t a new fantasy world it is hard to describe actual world-building. But the way the author explains Daemon’s backstory and his planet and everything is rather unique. I really enjoyed learning about their backstory and how they weren’t just normal aliens.

Then there are the characters.

KATY

We first meet Katy when she has just moved to West Virginia and is writing on her blog or about to. I adore Katy. She sort of reminds me of me or Elena from The Vampire Diaries (granted I’ve only watched about two episodes so I don’t really know). She is a normal girl who’s life changes when her dad dies and has to move to a little town in the middle of nowhere. She is also a book blogger and fangirls over getting new books which is totally me. I loved everything about her.

She was also quite the heroine. I half expected her to be a whimpy teenage girl who needed someone (Daemon) to save her all the time but she managed to hold her own and did some crazy things to save those whom she cared about.

DAEMON

Daemon….Where do I begin? Daemon was hot, infuriating, swoony and arrogant. He was also an overprotective brother, always protecting Dee from everything even things she so obviously didn’t need to be protected from. Daemon did not like Katy at first and went out of his way to be rude. But when he revealed himself to be an alien, he had no choice but to spend time with her.

Let me admit something, I hated Daemon at first. I thought he was rude and arrogant and didn’t know why anyone liked him. But he sort of grows on you and I did like him by the last half of the book.

DEE

From the first page when we met her, I adored her. She was that bubbly best friend and she was the greatest friend to Katy. She had a lot of strength and stuck by her friend.


ROMANCE

The romance was by no means insta love. They hated each other. Daemon infuriated Katy to no end and Daemon did not get along with Katy. But after a while there was a lot of flirting and I could tell that they would either get together by the end or almost get together. By the way, it is practically impossible to hear anything romantic come out of Daemon’s mouth. I can not wait to see how their relationship progresses

WRITING

I really enjoyed the writing. It was easy to understand and I really flew through this book.


Final Thoughts:

I highly recommend this book, especially if you like contemporaries and anything sci-fi. I really enjoyed this book because of the characters and plot.


Quotes from the Book:

“Will you show me what you really look like? You don't sparkle, do you?”

“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.”




My Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment