Friday 24 June 2016

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey Review [The 5th Wave #2]

This is a spoiler free review! But there may be spoilers for the first book.



The Infinite Sea
Written by Rick Yancey
Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction/Dystopian
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Release Date: September 16, 2014
Pages: 320
Source: Library
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository

Recommended Age: 13 and up!

Summary:

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

Review:

When I saw how short this book was compared to the first one, I was shocked. I didn’t know how it could be as action-packed and exciting as the first book with less pages. But I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed this book as much as the first.


COVER

This is by far not my favorite cover but it is still an interesting cover. I actually spent like thirty minutes trying to figure out what the cover was depicting and got nowhere so yes I think the cover is very interesting and intriguing.

WORLD-BUILDING

This is set on earth and there isn't much world-building because of that respect. We get a little more information about the aliens and their whole plan regarding to what they are going to do to the people who are still left on Earth.


Then there are the characters.

CASSIE

Cassie is still pretty strong and badass in this book though she is a little piney since Evan isn’t with them. But I will always love Cassie. She is one of those YA heroines that you can’t help but love because she’s so strong and determined. She stands her ground and knows what she wants and doesn’t let others lead her away from what needs to be done. She is a great fighter and I love her a lot


EVAN

I’m still a little bit wary on this character. I can’t really tell which side he’s on and what he’s planning on doing but I still have trust that he’s going to do the right thing. I mean, if he loves Cassie he will. Right?


BEN (ZOMBIE)

Ben has changed a lot since the first book. He seems more cold and calculating than he is in the first book but he still has a heart. He is still one of my favorite characters cause he is such a multi-layered character and is so different.


RINGER

Ringer was so different in this book. I had a lot more respect for her because of things she went through and she quickly went from my least favorite character to a character I could actually tolerate. She went through a ton in this book which seriously changed her as well as changed my opinion of her.

PLOT

I can't believe on most reviews, I forget to talk about the plot. The point of view changes stayed in this book and it actually helped us get the story from other’s perspectives. I have to admit at first I didn’t like Ringer in this book but she goes through a ton in the alien lab and that made me gain some respect for her and what she’s going through. I also liked how it was all high stakes and action which made our hearts beat a little faster because we needed to know what would happen to the characters.

ROMANCE

The romance in this series still annoys me a lot. I still feel like it is very insa-lovey [at least the romance between Evan and Cassie]. I am more of a Ben and Cassie kind of girl. I ship Ben and Cassie way more than Cassie and Evan because I feel like Ben and Cassie could develop a love that would withstand everything. Evan is an alien and that could really screw things up between the two characters.

Nevertheless, the romance is still insta-lovey. It takes basically a week or a couple for Cassie and Ben to start making out which both annoyed me and disgusted me. Then in this book, it seems like Cassie is pining for him more than just a little bit which also annoyed me. Cassie is such a strong character that she shouldn’t have to pine over someone she shouldn’t trust all that much. Ben and Cassie were cute and yes, I will forever ship them.


WRITING

I liked the writing which helped me fly through this book. It helped the story be fast paced and action packed.


Final Thoughts:

I highly recommend this book, it has aspects of sci-go, action and dystopian. The characters are three dimensional and the plot is amazing. I really enjoyed this book and it was a wonderful sequel. Again, I highly recommend this series.


Quotes from the Book:

“When you look death in the eye and death blinks first, nothing seems impossible.”

“It isn’t that the lies are too beautiful to resist. It’s that the truth is too hideous to face.”

“People die. Love endures.”

“You never know when the truth will come home. You can’t choose the time. The time chooses you.”


My Rating: 4.5  out of 5 Crowns

1 comment:

  1. I totally ship Ben and Cassie more then Evan, he's just a little bit too much.

    ReplyDelete