Saturday 30 July 2016

Everland by Wendy Spinale Review

This is a spoiler free review!




Everland
Written by Wendy Spinale
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Retelling
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: May 10, 2016
Pages: 312
Source: Library
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository

Recommended Age: 13 and up!

Summary:

London has been destroyed in a blitz of bombs and disease. The only ones who have survived are children, among them Gwen Darling and her siblings, Joanna and Mikey. They spend their nights scavenging and their days avoiding the ruthless Marauders -- the German army led by Captain Hanz Otto Oswald Kretschmer.

Unsure if the virus has spread past England's borders but desperate to leave, Captain Hook hunts for a cure, which he thinks can be found in one of the survivors. He and his Marauders stalk the streets snatching children for experimentation. None ever return. Until the day they grab Joanna. As Gwen sets out to save her, she meets a daredevil boy named Pete. Pete offers the assistance of his gang of Lost Boys and the fierce sharpshooter Bella, who have all been living in a city hidden underground. But in a place where help has a steep price and every promise is bound by blood, it will cost Gwen. And are she, Pete, the Lost Boys, and Bella enough to outsmart Captain Hook?


Review:

I have an obsession with all things Peter Pan so it isn't really a surprise that I picked this book up and loved it. It is a steampunk retelling of Peter Pan and it is so so good. My heart was soaring after I read this book and I was so so happy that I am now wanting to buy the book just so I can reread it whenever I wish. Plus, now I have a massive crush on Pete.

COVER

The cover fits the book beautifully. I love the pixie dust at the top and the girl with wings. It fits the book so wonderfully, I couldn't ask for a better cover.

WORLD-BUILDING

I was so impressed with the world-building. I was not confused at all by the world and it intrigued me so much.

Then there are the characters.

GWEN

Gwen is the perfect picture of a kind and brave heroine. She cares so much about her family and she goes to great lengths for them. She is also stubborn and skeptical of things, and not quick to trust others. In this type of a setting, trusting others could mean your abduction or death. I really enjoyed seeing Gwen change throughout the book.



PETE

Pete was such a good representation of Peter Pan. He had that trademark smirk/smile and was sarcastic and funny. He was however, older which changed him a bit but he still had that charm. He quickly became my favorite character.

BELLA

I believe Bella was meant to be Tinkerbell and she was totally like her. She had that same stubbornness and seemed rather possessive of Pete. She was also really kind and smart. I grew to love her as much as I love the original Tink.

HOOK

Hook is different in this. He has a tragic backstory which shows why he does what he does but it didn't really make me feel sorry for him. He is still a complete villain and what happened in his past doesn't show why he has to do the things that he does.


FRIENDSHIP/FAMILY

Spinale really showcases family and friendship in this story. She shows the importance of family and to stick together. She also shows that you don't have to be related by blood to be a family and to love each other like one which I really liked.


PLOT

The plot was wonderfully, well done. I loved seeing the story of Peter Pan reborn. I liked how the Lost Boys 'den' was underground instead of in a treetrunk and how they each had jobs and acted more like a community. Gwen was also not really like a mother to them but more of an older sister and friend.


ROMANCE

If you were like me and knew that Peter and Wendy were a total item and had so much chemistry, then you need this book. Gwen and Pete are so cute and the chemistry between them was undeniable. Pete cares about her more than a friend halfway through the book and that sort of changes everything. They also bring out the best in each other and are such a great team. I love them so much. New OTP!




WRITING

I didn't pay too much attention to the actual writing but it was such a good read so the writing was beautiful, obviously.

Final Thoughts:

If you like anything Peter Pan, then I highly recommend this book. It is such a good retelling and has all the aspects of the original story that you need. I adore this book. It is a new favorite of mine.

Quotes from the Book:

"Pete?" I say, my voice crackling. "Please don't die."

Pete gives me a dazzling smile and bows. "To die will be an awfully big adventure." He blows me a kiss and pulls the heavy door shut with a metallic clank, leaving me alone in the dark.



"I knew you'd come for me," she whispers.

With the back of my hand, I brush a tear from my own cheek. "I'm your sister. I'll always come for you."









My Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns

2 comments:

  1. I just recently read this book and loved it! Will upload a review soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favorite book by far!

    ReplyDelete