Thursday 29 December 2016

Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout [Lux 0.5]

I received an eArc from Netgalley and the publisher. That has in no way affected my thoughts and opinions in this review. This is also a spoiler free review.



Shadows
Written by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Paranormal
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Release Date: February 21, 2012
Pages: 179
Source: eArc provided by NetGalley
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository

Recommended Age: 13 and up!


Summary:

The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in.

Captivated. Lured. Loved.

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.


Review:

I saw this on NetGalley and I jumped at the opportunity to read and review it. I love the Lux series, and the characters in it, so much. I honestly adored this book. It was so cute and if it is possible, I may love Dawson even more now. Now, I just have to catch up on the regular books in the series. [WARNING: Read Obsidian before this book]

COVER

As usual, I don't like the covers of this series. I mean, I feel like they could do better.

WORLD-BUILDING

Most of the world building in this book was said before in one of the other books because this is a prequel. We do learn a little bit more about their lives before Katy which is really interesting as some of them are similar but some of them are a lot different.

Then there are the characters.

DAWSON

I love Dawson. He is Daemon's twin brother and he is such a precious little smol bean. I have only read up through the third book, and a little bit of the fourth so I'm not familiar with his character in those books but in this, he is almost the opposite of his brother. Dawson is the good boy to Daemon's bad boy. I know, that I say this in a lot of these reviews, but honestly, Daemon and Dawson remind me so much of Damon and Stefan from the Vampire Diaries [respectively]. Dawson is so sweet and kind and is first appearance shows him to be more trusting and a lot friendlier than his brother.

BETHANY

Beth was like Katy but then she wasn't. Beth automatically stole my heart. She was such a sweet, innocent character who I wanted a lot more of. Bethany is so nice and sweet. Katy has a strong backbone and you can see that she is equipped to be with a Luxen but Bethany is different in that respect.

FRIENDSHIP/FAMILY

Family is a main thing in the Lux series. The Lux are determined to protect their kind and their own families which is why they are strongly against relationships with humans. I am happy that family and friendship is such a strong point.

PLOT

The plot was fairly well-known to Lux fans, but I thought it was good. It was very short and sweet and it had just the right amount of everything.

ROMANCE

The romance was obviously the main focus. It's so beautiful and fans of the series know how heartbreaking it is going to be. It is pretty much an insta-love story but it was done right. Their relationship is frowned on so hardly by the Lux but Dawson doesn't care and he is willing to risk everything, which is exactly what he does.

WRITING

The writing is the best for a book that isn't supposed to have eloquent vocabulary. I always enjoy the writing.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Anyone who is a Lux fan, should read this book. It should be read after Obsidian and it is a perfect short novella.


Quotes from the Book:

“How could he explain what happened? 'Hey, honey, I'm an alien and apparently I just doused you with some radioactive loving! Wanna catch a movie?' Yeah, not cool.” 

“Oh, for the love of baby humans everywhere, you’re an idiot.” 





My Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns




No comments:

Post a Comment