Sunday 24 July 2016

The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker Review

This is a spoiler free review!



The King Slayer
Written by Virginia Boecker
Genre: Young Adult/Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Publisher: Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: June 14, 2016
Pages: 368
Source: Library
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository

Recommended Age: 12 and up!

Summary:

“I think, in time, you’ll either be my greatest mistake or my greatest victory.”

Former witch hunter Elizabeth Grey is hiding within the magically protected village of Harrow, evading the price put on her head by Lord Blackwell, the usurper king of Anglia. Their last encounter left Blackwell ruined, but his thirst for power grows stronger every day. He’s readying for a war against those who would resist his rule—namely Elizabeth and the witches and wizards she now calls her allies.

Having lost her stigma, a magical source of protection and healing, Elizabeth’s strength is tested both physically and emotionally. War always means sacrifice, and as the lines between good and evil blur once more, Elizabeth must decide just how far she’ll go to save those she loves.

Review:

I originally thought that this series was going to be a trilogy and was a little bit let-down when I discovered that it was not. But I adore this duology nonetheless and it is probably one of the only duologies that I have read so far.


COVER

This cover confused me at first. I was unsure as to what they were showing. Then I figured out that it was a rose and that made a little more sense. But overall it is an okay cover.


WORLD-BUILDING

The world-building was mostly done in the first book so I don't have much to say for this one but the world was still very interesting and unique and I thoroughly enjoyed reading a book set in this "time period".


Then there are the characters.


ELIZABETH

Elizabeth is still my favorite character. She's still a badass and doesn't totally care about what could happen to her. But her relationship with John has definitely changed her which got a bit annoying. She did care a lot more about him than he wanted her too. She was supposed to be this strong, independent character and she kind of lacked in those points at times.

JOHN

I loved John in the first book but he changed in this book and was a little bit more rude at times which annoyed me but I still adore him and always will. It is a roller coaster with him as his mood constantly changes but you still have to love him to death.


SCHUYLER

Schuyler was hilarious and was kind of the comic relief. I really liked how his friendship with Elizabeth developed and how they trusted each other a lot more and counted on each other more than they used too. Schuyler was probably my second favorite character.


PLOT

The plot was addictive and exciting. It had a ton of twists and turns as well as shocking revelations. I can't wait to see more of what Virginia Boecker will have to offer because I am so down for more of her books.



ROMANCE

The romance is beautiful and adorable. John and Elizabeth are so cute together and I really ship them and knew that they were stronger together. Overall, I really enjoyed this romance.



WRITING

The writing is addictive and kept me reading at all times. I love it when the author can keep me reading even at slow parts which is what this book did. 

Final Thoughts:

I enjoyed this book so so much. It's an amazing duology that does so well at keeping you engaged. The characters are wonderfully thought out as well as the plot. I highly recommend this series and may revisit it in the future.

Quotes from the Book:







My Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment