Monday 5 September 2016

The Flip Side by Shawn Johnson Review

This is a spoiler free review!




The Flip Side
Written by Shawn Johnson
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: June 7, 2016
Pages: 309
Source: Library
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository


Recommended Age: 12 and up!


Summary:

Charlie Ryland has a secret.

She may seem like your average high school sophomore—but she’s just really good at pretending.

Because outside of school Charlie spends all her waking hours training to become one of the best gymnasts in the world. And it’s not easy flying under the radar when you’re aiming for Olympic gold…especially when an irresistible guy comes along and threatens to throw your whole world off balance.
 


Review:

The gymnastics just finished and I was seriously kind of depressed because of it. This book helped lighten my spirits because not only is it about an Olympic sport but it is also by an Olympic athlete/gymnast. I remember when I watched her games all those years ago. I'm kind of upset that it got such poor ratings on Goodreads because it was a fantastic book and a fantastic read.

COVER

I think the cover fits the book pretty well. I like how the girl is standing on top of the bench and about to perform a gymnastics move. Even though this scene very obviously doesn't happen in the book, it is still a nice fit for the book.

WORLD-BUILDING

There really isn't. I mean we get the background of the main character and a few of the side characters but it isn't a fantasy book so there isn't world-building.

Then there are the characters.


CHARLIE

"I'm going to be your biggest cheerleader at the Olympic Games, no matter what."

Charlie was my favorite character. I feel like she was a good role model even though she does do a couple things that would make you think that she isn't one. Charlie is a gymnastics champion who wants to keep her whole gymnastics life a secret from her friends and the people at school. Charlie was a fun character who led a double life and the fact that she hated government really made me connect with her.

GWEN

Gwen is Charlie's best friend at gymnastics. I felt like Gwen was a good best friend. She did push Charlie to do her own personal best and also supported her even if some of the things that Charlie did, Gwen didn't approve of.


BOBBY

Bobby was one of those nice guys who are so hard to find in YA Literature. I really liked him as a love interest and as a character. He was kind and compassionate. He took things that happened really well and I liked that.




FRIENDSHIP/FAMILY

The friendships in this book were very realistic and quite refreshing to read about.

PLOT

I really liked the plot. It wasn't a typical Contemporary that was focused on the romance. I really liked how it was focused on how Charlie really wanted to be in the Olympics and how that was her dream and she wouldn't let anything get in the way of it.

ROMANCE

The romance was your typical cutsey contemporary romance. It didn't take over the plot though and I found it to be extremly healthy. Bobby was actually the perfect gentleman and I really liked this romance.

WRITING

The writing was good for a contemporary and it kept me entertained.

Final Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book. It helped my post Olympic hangover and it was cute for summer. I really liked how it ended nicely and it tied things up without leaving it on the edge. I highly recommend this book for a good getaway.



Quotes from the Book:

To be added...







My Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns



picture credit goes to original taker
THIS BOOK IN THREE GIFS: 







No comments:

Post a Comment