Tuesday 10 January 2017

Frostblood by Elly Blake Book Review

I received a copy from the publisher and NetGalley. Thank you to them! This is a spoiler free review. [Spoilers are included in my Goodreads review, if you want to see]



Frostblood
Written by Elly Blake
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: January 10, 2017
Pages: 384
Source: eArc from publisher and NetGalley. Thanks!
Places to Get this Book: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository


Recommended Age: 13 and up!

Summary:


Seventeen-year-old Ruby is a fireblood who must hide her powers of heat and flame from the cruel frostblood ruling class that wants to destroy all that are left of her kind. So when her mother is killed for protecting her and rebel frostbloods demand her help to kill their rampaging king, she agrees. But Ruby's powers are unpredictable, and she's not sure she's willing to let the rebels and an infuriating (yet irresistible) young man called Arcus use her as their weapon.


All she wants is revenge, but before they can take action, Ruby is captured and forced to take part in the king's tournaments that pit fireblood prisoners against frostblood champions. Now she has only one chance to destroy the maniacal ruler who has taken everything from her and from the icy young man she has come to love.


Fast-paced and compelling, Frostblood is the first in a page-turning new young adult three-book series about a world where flame and ice are mortal enemies—but together create a power that could change everything.


Review:


I had already heard some things about this book when I pressed the button to request it from NetGalley but I went into this one mostly blind. As in, not browsing Goodreads for hours before requesting it. Overall, this was a really good book which is why I gave this five crowns. :)


COVER

This cover isn't my favorite but it isn't bad. I like how the background looks exactly like ice. It reminds me of the Red Queen book cover with the blood dripping from the crown thing. I like how it is all centered in the middle and it is overall aesthetically pleasing.

WORLD-BUILDING


The world-building was one of my favorite parts of the entire book. I like how she was able to create an entire new world while borrowing a couple elements from other books. It was interesting how there are two types of people and one type is really shunned by the other. There are the frostbloods and the firebloods. The frostbloods are the preferred type as the King is a frostblood. And I believe most of the land is covered in snow and ice and I really enjoyed it.

Then there are the characters.

RUBY

Ruby is not the typical flat YA heroine. She has flaws and yes they are actually talked about. Her story is emotional because she is put in prison [not a spoiler, I promise] and she is alone and scared and thinks she's going to die but she has the power of fire which can protect her and keep her warm. She is chosen to complete a task by monks who rescue her and she is not prepared at all so she trains. She is a smart, resourceful heroine as well as totally badass. She is a heroine who saves herself as well as others without submitting to others.

ARCUS

Arcus is the love interest who has secrets to hide. He does not start out lovable at all. In fact, I was kind of confused as to what his point was in the book at first but then I found out. And I did like him but not as much as some guys in books. He was loyal and had good characteristics but I wish he had had more page time because then I would have liked him more.

FRIENDSHIP/FAMILY


Family is an important concept, though it isn't front and center. She wants to get revenge for her mom but she also knows how important other people's families are which is why she hesitates to do a lot of stuff because of them.

PLOT


The plot was similar to Red Queen but it was still it's own book. I loved the scenes which were so vivid and interesting. Yes, the first half of the book it was kind of boring but keep going because it gets so so interesting. And you will want so much more from it. I did at least. I highly recommend it.

ROMANCE

The romance was slow-burn but later it was predictable but I still shipped it. Not as much as some ships but I still enjoyed it. The banter and sarcasm and all of it was so real and cute and I loved it. The romance really worked into the story and wasn't taking over the plot which is something I never like. But it was enjoyable and relaxing and not controlling at all.

WRITING

The writing itself wasn't something I focused on during the reading but it was not bad. It was in first person which was refreshing as I so often read in third person. I also really liked the font on the ebook. I don't know why. It's just pretty.

FINAL THOUGHTS


This was a good book and I will definitely go through with the series. I recommend it especially if you liked Red Queen. It has magic and political intrigue and great characters. Give it a try.

Quotes from the Book:


NONE AT THIS TIME




My Rating: 4 out of 5 Crowns



OTHER BOOKS YOU MIGHT LIKE:

 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I am interested in this one! Although a little cautious because I've heard it been compared to Red Queen a bit and I wasn't such a fan of that book.😂 Hopefully I enjoy it too, though, when I get a chance to try it! I'm glad you loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. And yes it is compared to Red Queen because it has a couple minor similarities but it was still its own book and you should try it out if you can.

      [Cause TBR piles are enormous and some of my books are getting mad at me because I haven't read them yet] :)

      Delete