Saturday 4 February 2017

Wanted by Betsy Schow [Spelled #2] eArc review

I received an eArc from NetGalley and the publisher. Thank you to them. This is a spoiler free review for the second book but there will be mild spoilers for book one.




Wanted
Written by Betsy Schow
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: February 7, 2017
Pages: 320
Source: eArc from NetGalley


Recommended Age: 13 and up!


Summary:

In the sequel to Spelled, can Robin Hood's daughter, Rexi, stop the Wicked Witch from finding Excalibur?

Fairy-Tale Survival Rule No. 52:
No matter how difficult the obstacles or all-powerful the evil villain, one can rest assured that the hero of the story never dies. The sidekicks though...they should be worried.

Rexi Hood is proud to be an outlaw. After all, she's the daughter of the infamous Robin Hood. But sidekick? Accomplice? Sorry, that wasn't in her story description. Yeah, she and Princess Dorthea of Emerald have been inseparable since they teamed up to fight the wickedest witch. But if Rexi doesn't figure out how to break the curse that binds them, forget being overshadowed by the spirited princess, Rexi's going to become a Forgotten, wiped from the pages of Story and reduced to a puddle of ink. 
Not happening. No way in Spell. 
Rexi's plan? Steal the sword Excalibur and use its magic to write her own tale. But Gwenevere has opened a new Academy of Villains in Camelot and danger lurks behind every plot twist. And you know how it goes in Story: keep your friends close and your enemies closer...


Review:

I read the first book sometime last year and it was amazing and so different. I usually read books with a female protagonist who galavants across the land searching for someone or something, usually with a male dictating stuff. But this is different.

COVER


I really like the cover and how there is a shoe on the front which is another perfect allusion to the Wizard of Oz.

WORLD-BUILDING


This world still confuses me even though I read the first book as well as the second. I did wish that they had had a little bit more background when I jumped into this one because it had been awhile since I had read the first one but I still managed to figure it out.

The reason

Then there are the characters.


REXI

Rexi was the sidekick in the first book, meant to be there for sarcastic commentary and help battle once in while but generally forgotten. The hero of the story is supposed to be Dorthea but in this one she isn't. Rexi is a lot different from Dorthea. She has different morals and a different personality. She's a lot more sarcastic and snarky and doesn't always seem to have her priorities in check. In this one we get to see her take center stage and it was wonderful. I love her commentary and the fact that she is the real badass of the story.



FRIENDSHIP/FAMILY


Family and friendship is a main point in this book. Dorthea and Rexi are magically linked so if Rexi dies, she can be brought back but they can also feel each other's feelings and thoughts which is a bit of a nusiance as Rexi has to question if things are her own or Dorthea's. They both watch each others backs and Rexi begins to really think of Kato and Dorthea as friends and almost family.

PLOT


I admit that the plot confused me a bit because it jumped about but I got the main gist of it and I was pleased with it. I loved seeing everyone work together even when impending doom was held over them.

But I was NOT PLEASED with that cliffhanger!!! Please let there be another book!!

ROMANCE

There unfortunately seemed to be a kind of love triangle in this book that was very confusing. It was also a little bit unnecessary. I didn't know who to ship Rexi with. Kato or Mordred and I couldn't figure out who she had chemistry with. This would have been fine without any romance or with a new love interest that had potential.

WRITING

The writing is simple but I love all the funny little references to Pop culture and the sarcastic commentary which just made my day while I was reading this. [And helped me get through that emotional ending]

FINAL THOUGHTS


If you liked the first book then be sure to pick this one up but be aware that it might not meet your expectations. It does follow Rexi who is a different character than Dorthea but she was my favorite out of the two. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading anything by this author in the future.

Quotes from the Book:


None




My Rating: 4 out of 5 Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment