Sunday 4 November 2018

SEPTEMBER + OCTOBER '18 WRAP-UP



So, it's the end of the month and that means another wrap-up!

I decided to combine September and October into one post cause I never got around to wrapping up September.

It's already November and I am still getting adjusted to college. I'm slow, sorry. I want to share my bullet journal but I haven't decided how yet so stay tuned.  I have watched a lot of television these past two months as you can see down below. I am still working on reading more.

Join my book club: here.

 Anyways...

Time to talk about the books I read this month.


PHYSICAL BOOKS


The first book I read was Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco. This is actually a reread of a book I love. I love the setting, the characters and the plot line which is complete with a twist that basically no one could have seen coming. I rated this 5 Crowns once again. 

The second book I read was Ms. Marvel Volume 3 by G. Willow Wilson. I love this comic book series. Kamala (Ms. Marvel) is so relatable with her real life teenage problems and I loved being able to connect with her like that, despite obviously not being a superhero myself. 




The third book I read was Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco. I love this series a lot and I loved seeing the development of the characters. Audrey Rose is so independent which is hard for a woman in this era but she does it so well. Also, a school setting! I love it! I also loved how it was about Dracula who I don't know too much about so it was cool to read about him and the legend. I rated it 5 Crowns.

The fourth book I read was The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I loved this book a lot and I read it so I could see the movie but I unfortunately, did not end up seeing the movie as I did not have time. I liked how she wrote about the black lives matter movement which is such an important movement and the issues that the characters go through are real life problems.  I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The fifth book I read was Gunslinger Girl by Lyndsay Ely. I have put off reading this for awhile even though it was one of my most anticipated books for the year (I even requested an ARC of it though I didn't end up receiving one). I ended up really enjoying it. I loved the characters and the whole mystery aspect. Also, most of the characters are morally grey which is something you don't see all too often in YA novels. I rated it 4 Crowns.



The sixth physical book I read was Dread Nation by Justina Ireland. This book was so good! I did write a full book review of it so check that out! The setting was so new and different and the characters were all amazing. I loved how much representation there was in this book and I loved the female empowerment. I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The eighth physical book I read was The Turncoat by Donna Thorland. I am taking a US History course in college so this was perfect to read even though it isn't all fact. I loved this book and how fun and easy it was. Fun Fact: At some point in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Aunt Hilda is seen reading this and laughing and I totally understand. I rated it 3 Crowns.

The ninth physical book I read was Caraval by Stephanie Garber. This was another reread of a book that I love. I wanted to listen to the sequel which I have on hold from the library. I love this book a lot though I know some people don't. I think I liked the characters even more the second time around but I feel like the plot was better the first time cause this time I knew about all the plot twists but regardless it was a fun time. I rated it 5 Crowns. 



The tenth physical book I read was Tangled Webs by Lee Bross. I have seen this so many times and I wanted to try it. I went into it with no expectations but I thought the blurb was interesting. I liked Arista, the main character, but I didn't feel connected to any of the other characters which made me disappointed. I rated it 3 Crowns.

The last physical book I read was The Lies They Tell by Gillian French. I read a summary of this and I like thrillers so I wanted to read one for Halloween. I did not enjoy this as much as I thought I would. It isn't as much of a thriller. It is more of a mystery with a couple thriller aspects but I feel like I would have liked it better if it was a full thriller. I rated it 3 Crowns.


AUDIOBOOKS READ



The first audiobook I listened to was One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake. This is the sequel to Three Dark Crowns. The story progresses in this one and seems to get darker throughout the series. The characters develop beautifully and I found myself loving this book. The first book was really hard to get into so I'm proud that I enjoyed the second book more. Thinking about writing a review so I don't want to say too much. Also, I loved the narrator who read this book which was probably part of the reason that I ended up enjoying it so much. I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The second audiobook I listened to was The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. I have been meaning to read this for a long time and I finally got around to it and I have to say that I loved it so much! It was such a compelling story that sucked you in from the very beginning. I know the story it is based on which made me love it even more. I will be writing a full review on this so stay tuned. I also loved the narrator and am listening to the sequel as well. I rated it 5 Crowns. 



ARC'S READ

NONE

REVIEWS IN MARCH: 




WEEKLY WRAP-UP:







DISCUSSIONS/OTHER:





FAVORITE COVER OF THE MONTH:



NEW FICTIONAL BAE'S: 

Thomas Creswell from Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

Max from Gunslinger Girl by Lyndsay Ely

Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh


NEW FAVORITE FEMALES: 

Audrey Rose from Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

Pity from Gunslinger Girl by Lyndsay Ely

Starr from The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Jane from Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

Katherine from Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

Shahrzad from The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh 

Arista from Tangled Webs by Lee Bross


NEW FAVORITE BOOK RELATIONSHIPS: 

Thomas and Audrey Rose from Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

Pity and Max from Gunslinger Girl by Lyndsay Ely

Khalid and Shahrzad from The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh 


TV SHOWS I WATCHED THIS MONTH:





MOVIES I WATCHED THIS MONTH:






WHAT BOOKS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:



NEW BLOG FINDS

NONE


SONGS ON REPEAT

Loyal to Me - Nina Nesbitt

You Were Right - Gabriela Geneva 

Born Ready - Dove Cameron

Rumors - Sofia Carson

I Like Me Better - Lauv

Natural - Imagine Dragons 

I Follow Rivers - Lykke Li

You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette

Louder - Lea Michelle

Just My Type - The Vamps

Mr. Brightside - The Killers

Queen Bee - Rochelle Diamante 

Human - Maggie Lindemann

Paris - Sabrina Carpenter

Anything Goes - Riverdale Cast

I Put a Spell on You - IZA
A Little Wicked - Valerie Broussard 

Blood in the Cut - K. Flay


 BOOKS I WANT TO READ NEXT MONTH

 




The graphics at the top belong to me. The background pictures for them, however do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment