Friday 17 February 2017

JANUARY '17 WRAP UP!



So, it's the end of the month and that means another wrap-up!

I had a much better month in terms of reading which was great for me. I am very happy to have started off the year, reading well. I didn't get too much blogging done which was a shame but school takes up 97% of my time nowadays.

There's also three billion things to watch which are all good but so time consuming. Also watch Riverdale [CW], it's so good. And watch Timeless [NBC].

Join my book club: here.

 Anyways...

Time to talk about the books I read this month.


PHYSICAL BOOKS





The first physical book I read was Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston. This was a Star Wars book that was written by a wonderful author and I was so pleased by this book. It was a great addition to the Star Wars world which is something I love. I wrote a full review which I will link later. I rated this 5 Crowns.

The second physical book I read was Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst. This was a fantasy book with a girlxgirl romance which was refreshing to see and I really enjoyed it despite negative reviews. Basically, the main character, Princess Denna is sent to another kingdom to perform a marriage alliance with the prince and while she's there she becomes friends and eventually falls in love with the prince's sister, Mare. It was a really good book and I highly recommend it. I rated it 4 Crowns.


The third physical book I read was Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl. I adored this book which was about a girl who Natasha Romanoff had rescued from the red room and it was so cute until it wasn't and I cried. :(  But anyways, this was about a girl who was rescued from the red room and then when she was older, she went to a fencing competition and met Natasha again and a boy who becomes very important to her and the story and I loved it so much. I rated it 5 Crowns.

The fourth physical book I read was Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. This book had an interesting premise. It was about a girl who couldn't go outside due to having a rare illness. To put it simply, she was allergic to the world and anything outside could trigger her illness so she spent her entire life indoors with her mom and her nurse. I expected to like this book a lot more than I did. While I did enjoy the main character, Madeline and the cute romance with boy-next-door, Olly, I was not pleased with the representation.  It was supposed to show the struggles with having this kind of illness and how hard it was to connect with others but it didn't show that. Madeline completely went against rules that had been put in place to protect her and went on a vacation because she "needed to experience it" but she was also apparently sick. And the ending was a shocker that really should not have happened. I ended up rating this 3 Crowns, because while I did not like the representation, I did end up enjoying some aspects of the novel.



The fifth book I read was These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas. This was such a good book and I have been putting off reading it since last year when I bought it. It had so much to love especially Mr. Kent. <3  I liked how spunky the main character was and how unique this book was. I rated it 4 Crowns.

The sixth book I read was Glitter by Aprilynne Pike. I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did but my sister recommended it to me so I decided to pick it up and I'm glad I did. It had a lot to love in it. If you have not checked out this book, then please do. It's set in modern day/future France but inside the Palace of Versailles, it is like it is 18th century France. The main character wants an escape and so she makes a deal with a drug dealer. I rated it 4 Crowns.



The seventh book I read was Ash by Malinda Lo. This was another book that I liked. It was a Cinderella retelling with another girlxgirl romance that did not take over the plot. That was one of the best parts of the novel. It was pretty slow going and had a lot of description rather than dialogue which did make it a little boring.  I ended up rating it 3 Crowns because I liked the representation and the main character but I didn't enjoy a lot of side characters and the plot was pretty slow going and a tad bit confusing at some times but maybe some of you would like it better.

The eighth book I read was Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill. This was something I have wanted to pick up since I found out about the book but I wasn't sure that I would enjoy it due to some negative reviews. But, I ended up really enjoying it. The main character, Britta, was actually one of the only characters that I liked. There were some people in the book who weren't the best such as Cohen. In fact, the romance also wasn't the best. But, I did rate it 4 Crowns because there were many aspects that I did enjoy.




ARC'S READ




The first and only ARC I read was Frostblood by Elly Blake. I received this from NetGalley and the publisher and it was such a good book. It had a lot of similarities to other fantasy books such as Red Queen, but then again, what book doesn't have similarities to others. I really enjoyed this book overall and I have a full review. I rated it 4 Crowns. 




REVIEWS IN NOVEMBER: 





OTHER POSTS: 


MUSIC MONDAY:

NONE

TOP TEN TUESDAY: 

NONE

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: 

NONE


WEEKLY WRAP-UP:





DISCUSSIONS/OTHER:










FAVORITE COVER OF THE MONTH:





NEW FICTIONAL BAE'S: 


Saber from Glitter by Aprilynne Pike

Mr. Kent from These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas


TV SHOWS I WATCHED THIS MONTH:

 







WHAT BOOKS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:





NEW BLOG FINDS



SONGS ON REPEAT

High - Zella Day 

Soldier - Fleurie

Beauty and the Beast - Ariana Grande and John Legend

Shape of You - Ed Sheeran

Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood

The graphics at the top belong to me. The background pictures for them, however do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment