Friday 18 August 2017

JULY '17 WRAP-UP



So, it's the end of the month and that means another wrap-up!

I am very proud of my reading this month because I got a lot of reading done. I have been in California for most of this month visiting my grandparents and taking a break from a lot of stuff.

I did go to Disneyland and I will write a whole post about it when I can. It was so much fun. We went for two days and I love it there so much.

I did participate in campnanowrimo but I did not get to my goal. I am upset about that but I will continue to work on it as much as I can anyways.

Join my book club: here.

 Anyways...

Time to talk about the books I read this month.


PHYSICAL BOOKS




The first physical book I read was Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett. I wrote a whole review on this book but in short I loved it. There were so many movie references and quotes and I loved the plot and the characters. I rated it 5 Crowns. 

The second physical book I read was Courage to Soar by Simone Biles. I love Simone Biles and I think she's such a role model for girls and just everyone. I loved reading about her story and seeing everything through her eyes. I rated it 5 Crowns. 

The third physical book I read was Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh. I went into this with very high expectations and this book unfortunantly did not meet them. I found this book a little boring though I loved the fact that it was a Pride and Prejudice retelling. I rated it 3 Crowns.



The fourth physical book I read was The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow. I have been wanting to read this book for awhile but I never got around to finding it until this summer. This book gave a firm nod to Sherlock Holmes but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.  I rated this book 3.5 Crowns. 

The fifth physical book I read was The Darkest Hour by Caroline Tung Richmond. This was really good and I have seen it quite a few times but have never decided to actually pick it up and read it. It was set in World War II and it was so good because it was about girls actually getting to be bada*s. There is also no romance in this one which was so refreshing. I rated this book 4 Crowns. 

The sixth physical book I read was Ten by Gretchen McNeil. I have also seen this book around a few times and I finally picked it up. Yes, it was scary if you were wondering. I loved the suspense and the characters and I thought it was actually really creepy. It is based off of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. I rated it 5 Crowns. 

 

The seventh physical book I read was Unfiltered by Lily Collins. I really enjoyed her very personal autobiography. I really like Lily Collins and this book made me like her even more. She talks a lot about her eating disorder, relationships [both romantic and friends and family], and insecurities. I really liked this book. I rated it 5 Crowns. 

The eighth physical book I read was Velvet Undercover by Teri Brown. This was another historical YA book. This was very good and had a bit of a mystery element to it. This is another book which has bada*s women/girls. It is set in World War I. I rated it 4 Crowns. 

The ninth physical book I read was Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno Garcia. This was dark. I didn't really expect it to be super dark but it was.  I am going to be doing a full review of this because I have quite a bit to say about it.  I had had it on my want to read list for a long time and I am excited to have finally gotten to read it. I rated it 4 Crowns. 



The tenth physical book I read was A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi. I loved The Star-Touched Queen so much and when I heard about this being another book in the series, it was zooming onto my to read list. I loved this book a lot. Vikram and Gauri were both excellent main characters. Gauri was strong and independent and a queen. Vikram was a prince who didn't really know what he was doing.  I did a full review of this which I will link later in this post.  I rated this one 5 Crowns. 

The eleventh physical book I read was The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova. I have wanted to read an Elise Kova book for awhile and I have never gotten around to it but I was not disappointed. I love Elise's writing and I love how she develops her plotlines and her characters which perfectly coincide. I am going to be doing a full review on this soon so stay tuned. I rated this one 5 Crowns as well. 

The twelfth physical book I read was Lock and Key The Initiation by Ridley Pearson. This book is something that seemed really unique and cute. I really enjoy Ridley Pearson's books and this one was good but not as good as his Kingdom Keepers series. I did enjoy the point of view and the characters but at times the plot line was a tad confusing. I rated it 3.5 Crowns. 


The thirteenth physical book I read was Vicarious by Paula Stokes. This is another book that I have been wanting to pick up for awhile and never got around to it. I really liked it. I liked the concept and Paula Stokes dealt with real life issues very well in this book. I will be doing a full review on this one as well and I rated it 5 Crowns

The fourteenth physical book I read was The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes by Leonard Goldberg. I saw this in Barnes and Noble a couple months ago and I really wanted to read it. Then I got it in California from the library and I am so happy that I read this. I loved the main characters who were a lot different from any other characters I've read about. I rated it 3.5 Crowns. 


AUDIOBOOKS READ

NONE


ARC'S READ


NONE

REVIEWS IN MARCH: 






MUSIC MONDAY:

NONE

TOP TEN TUESDAY: 

NONE

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: 

NONE


WEEKLY WRAP-UP:






DISCUSSIONS/OTHER:



FAVORITE COVER OF THE MONTH:



NEW FICTIONAL BAE'S: 

Porter Roth from Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett

Maxwell from Velvet Undercover by Teri Brown

Domingo from Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Vikram from A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi

Cvareh from The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova

Jesse from Vicarious by Paula Stokes


TV SHOWS I WATCHED THIS MONTH:

 



MOVIES I WATCHED THIS MONTH:




CHALLENGE UPDATES:

2017 New Release Challenge: 

1. FrostBlood by Elly Blake
2. Wanted by Betsy Schow
3. These Ruthless Deeds
4. It Started with Goodbye
4. 10 Things I Can See From Here by Carrie Mac
5. Freeks by Amanda Hocking
6. Hunted by Meagan Spooner
7. Ronit & Jamil by Pamela L. Laskin
8. Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
9. The Valiant by Lesley Livingston
10. By Your Side by Kasie West
11. Caraval by Stephanie Garber
12. Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
13. Geekerella by Ashley Poston
14. Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett
15. Unfiltered by Lily Collins
16. A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi
17. The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova
18. The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes by Leonard Goldberg


NetGalley Challenge: 

1. FrostBlood by Elly Blake
2. Wanted by Betsy Schow
3. These Ruthless Deeds
4. It Started with Goodbye
4. 10 Things I Can See From Here by Carrie Mac
5. Geekerella by Ashley Poston

Series Ender: 

1. A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi 

Debut Challenge: 

1. FrostBlood by Elly Blake
2. It Started with Goodbye 
3. Caraval by Stephanie Garber


Retellings Reading Challenge: 

1. Ash by Malinda Lo
2. Wanted by Betsy Schow
3. Heartless by Melissa Meyer
4. Kingdom of Ash and Briars by Hannah West
5. Hunted by Meagan Spooner
6. Geekerella by Ashley Poston


Beat the Backlist Challenge:

1. Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston 
2. Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst
3. Black Widow Forever Red by Margaret Stohl
4. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
5. These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
6. Glitter by Aprilynne Pike
7. Ash by Malinda Lo
8. Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill
9. Heartless by Marissa Meyer
10. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
11. The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
12. The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
13. City of Ashes by Cassandra Claire
14. The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee
15. Scythe by Neal Shusterman
16. Kingdom of Ash and Briars by Hannah West
17. City of Glass by Cassandra Claire
18. Little Black Dresses, Little Black Lies by Laura Stampler
19. Nemesis by Anna Banks
20. The 100 by Kass Morgan
21. The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud
22. HP and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling
23. Joyride by Anna Banks
24. Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman
25. Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
26. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
27. The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud


Flights of Fantasy Challenge: 

1. FrostBlood by Elly Blake
2. Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst
3. Ash by Malinda Lo
4. Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill
5. Wanted by Betsy Schow
6. Heartless by Marissa Meyer
7. The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
8. City of Ashes by Cassandra Claire
9. Freeks by Amanda Hocking
10. Kingdom of Ash and Briars by Hannah West
11. Hunted by Meagan Spooner
12. Nemesis by Anna Banks
13. Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
14. The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud
15. Caraval by Stephanie Garber
16. HP and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling
17. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Diverse Reads 2017:

1. Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst
2. Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
3. Ash by Malinda Lo
4. 10 Things I Can See From Here by Carrie Mac
5. Ronit & Jamil by Pamela L. Laskin
6. Joyride by Anna Banks
7. Geekerella by Ashley Poston



WHAT BOOKS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:




 





NEW BLOG FINDS

NONE

SONGS ON REPEAT


Believer - Imagine Dragons

Fetish - Selena Gomez

Julia Michaels Album

Descendants 2 Album

Parlay - Pirates of the Caribbean

 BOOKS I WANT TO READ NEXT MONTH







The graphics at the top belong to me. The background pictures for them, however do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment